Wednesday 17 July 2013

So we are four days in and I think the homesickness is slowly starting to go away. I still have my moments (mainly mornings and night) but I really enjoy where I'm working and the people there which helps make the days go by smoothly. The kids that we see every day are so cute. They have warmed up to me pretty quickly. However, toddlers are difficult to understand...Toddlers with Irish accents are almost impossible to understand!

Tomorrow I will get to go on a day trip with one of the groups of women. I am really excited for it because not only will I get to see a new part of the city, but I will get some experience with the women, who are all drug addicts. There is another American intern there also, so with the program director's suggestion, we decided that we are going to switch off every day between the women's groups and the children's center so that we can both have that experience and get the most out of our internships. We also talked about maybe running a group one day and giving the women the perspective of Americans, so we are going to plan that which I think will be pretty cool.

Last night I went with my housemates to the Guinness Storehouse. It's a pretty cool place. You walk through and learn how guinness is made. That was interesting and all, but my favorite part was going into the guinness academy and learning how to pour the perfect glass...which you then get to drink! I passed and enjoyed that beer very much. ? At the top of the building there is a bar called the gravity bar which has a 360 degree view of Dublin...it was beautiful! Afterwards we went to grab some dinner and when I asked the waiter for a box he gave me a weird look and said they don't have any...I also got a strange look from all of my housemates. Apparently other people don't believe in boxes for their food...

To end this post I will share some interesting things I have learned/noticed about Ireland:

  • When women have a baby they get 26 weeks paid maternity leave and you can get an additional 16 weeks unpaid. America sucks in that aspect.
  • They are trying to extend these paid leave rights to fathers as well
  • People like to honk when they're driving around here
  • Learning to look the opposite way when crossing the street is quite difficult
  • A tea and toast break happens every day where I work
  • I think they lied about the cool weather and rain. It has been nothing but sunny and hot! Everyone says this is super unusual and they haven't had a heat wave like this is like 7-10 years. Craziness! 

1 comment:

  1. We're loving this blog and reading about everythng. Big getting used to----crossing the street there!
    Gr. & Gp. Scott

    ReplyDelete