Thursday 22 August 2013

Thursdays with Lacey

I really got to thinking the other night how incredibly cool it has been to meet different people from all over the world. When I was planning this trip I was under the impression that I would mainly be surrounded by Irish people...which I am...but Dublin is so much more diverse than I ever expected. I got a good taste of different cultures from all of my housemates (and of course my trip to France) but I am constantly meeting new people which is just so cool. 

The other night I met up with a girl named Cinzia. She is a student and is staying with Barry (a guy I work with) and his family. So, he exchanged our info and we went out the other night with a big group of other students in her class. The were from all over...Italy, Belgium, and even Lichtenstein, which I didn't even know existed to be honest. I am usually kind of shy and nervous about going out in large groups of people, but I have broken out of my shell a lot here and I have really enjoyed meeting and talking with people from all over. I realized very quickly that I needed to break out of my comfort zone and push my limits here or else I would be absolutely miserable. Back home, I would be hesitant to go out with a new group of people, even if I knew someone in the group. The other night when I went out I hadn't even met Cinzia yet but I just went for it and I am so glad I did! 
Cinzia and me

That night was also Greer's last night in the house so I was sad. We stayed up late and had deep conversations with the housemates, though, which was pretty cool...until I realized it was 2am and I had to be up at 7:30...



Then last night, I met up with Helen's (from SAOL) husband and his daughters to see the play Tuesdays With Morrie. I had heard of it before and knew there was a book, but I didn't know much about it except that it's supposed to be really good...and it was great! We saw it in a very small theatre...maybe only 50 people, which made it very intimate. The show was so good! It's just two actors and they were brilliant. The story is about a guy who, after 16 years, gets back in touch with a college professor and they begin to spend every Tuesday together. The show was really funny, but it had it's really emotional and thought-provoking moments also. I will admit that by the end I was crying...if you ever get the chance to see the play, please do! I really want to read the book now and see the movie too, just for comparison, but nothing quite compares to live theatre for me! 


And to end this day's ramblings, here is a list of Dublinesse terms given to me by Barry










 


No comments:

Post a Comment